Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Spanish Lettuce Wraps

I spent all day yesterday cleaning, and I mean deep cleaning my house and panicked when I noticed it was 5:00 and I had not started dinner. YEEK! 

So I grabbed some left overs and veggies and created this dish that I must say I am excited to make again! Starting out thinking I was going to do some spanish rice and black bean burritos, I wanted to do a Spanish style rice and something fresh. Here is what I came up with.

~~~~~~~~~~~Spanish Lettuce Wraps~~~~~~~~~~~
Ingredients:
Roman Lettuce leafs 
Brown rice (I used short grain this time, but any would work)
Corn
Mushrooms
Cilantro
Purple onions
Avocado
Tomatoes
Salsa

Directions:
Wash lettuce wraps and lay on a towel to dry. 

Create Spanish Rice Mix:
While the lettuce is drying,  in a skillet place brown rice ( mine was pre-cooked because it was left overs) , corn, and salsa (I used a chunky salsa) to desired flavoring and texture. I used about 3-4 tablespoons. Add a little water and cook until heated through. 

Remove from heat and add fresh cilantro, mix and place inside of lettuce leaves. Top with purple onion, tomatoes, and avocado. 

These were so good my kids even asked for thirds! I ran out of  Spanish Rice Mix before they were full, so next time I know I need to make more mix! This is a healthy plant strong meal. The mushrooms add some needed protein, so if your kids don't eat mushrooms, like mine sometimes won't, I suggest blending them into small pieces and mixing them in the rice. They won't even know they are there, but everyone still gets their protein! 

Hope you enjoy!




No comments :

Post a Comment

Your comments bring such Joy! Thank you!