You have got to read this....This article (click it) makes me want to cry and scream all at the same time! Many people are unaware of what is going on with farming and the production of our food. If you want to know more you can follow this blog Food Renegade and also watch the documentary Food Inc. it's on Netflix and I am sure if you google it you will find a ton of information. I have been following the food Renegade blog and others and they give great insight into what is going on with our food. That way each family can make the decisions biased on the information we have, instead of just doing.
In a nut shell if we don't stop funding these big companies who are injecting and modifying our food with poison there will be little to no "truly" Healthy options. Man, I can't imagine what God sees when He looks down and watches us tamper with the beautifully designed food He made. Food that nourishes and brings health. Not this genetically modified, pesticide filled food that is flooding our markets.
Don't get me wrong. I do buy some "non organic" products, but not from companies who do this, and not from companies who know they are modifying the food in a dangerous way and continue to do so just to make more money. HOWEVER, I have found cutting and staying away from the dirty dozen and making the sacrifice to invest in organic has not been to bad on our budget. I mostly just try to investigate and ask around for local or hidden treasure of good, fresh, organic products. That is why, even now I drive 20 mins to the nearest Trader Joes to buy "better" for us products for more affordable prices.
No doubt, it is expensive to buy organic, but it is possible to make cuts that will impact greatly. Little steps. Here are a few things we do and things others I know have done to cut cost, but not risk cutting healthy living.
* Don't buy from the big name brands unless you know it is organic and properly raised/grown
* Read labels: for example look for hormone free, pesticide free, no GMO or MSG in the labels. While I can't always afford "organic" meats I do buy from Trader Joes chicken that has some of these labels above. Or there are times we eat less meat. Other friends do co-op groups and trade or you can also get from local farmers. More work, but more reward too!
* Find a local farmer
* Ask around people will share their success
* Stay away from the dirty dozen (google it)
* Have a garden :) Grow your own, but buy seeds that are organic
* PRAY: Pray for our farmers who are fighting to keep their "truly" organic business, pray for more to catch on, pray for others to notice and not comply. Pray for our health and protection! Pray for our country to return to the God given design. Pray! Pray! Pray!
I know it's a sacrifice, but make the sacrifice (even if it's just one) and take the stand! Don't buy from these guys or others who are forcing organic growers out of business! That is criminal! Better yet! Stop and write them a letter, send an email, or call!
Praying for healthy and better options for us all!